Sunday, December 2, 2012

Blog 23: The Focus of the Data


Generra Johnson
2 December 2012
ENG 3029-01
Professor Chandler
Blog 23: The Focus of the Data
            One focus in my data is the stories Twilight and Rebecca. There is one section that focuses on these main subjects.

Twilight and Rebecca Questions:
Have you ever read the stories Twilight and Rebecca?
Subject: Yes.

What attracted you to the story Twilight?
Subject: I have to be honest it was probably because I wanted to watch the movie. And you know me if I haven’t read the book, I will not watch the movie.
Interviewer: Yeah, because you usually compare the book with the movie.
·         Subject: Because the movie normally sucks compared to the book.
·         Interviewer: Yeah.
·         Subject: Then you find the movie that does the book justice, but Twilight messed it up too much.
·         Interviewer: Oh it did?
·         Subject: Edward, did not look like he was supposed to. Bella did not look like how she was supposed to.
·         Interviewer: Really?
·         Subject: Yeah, a lot of it is Jasper, what the hell did he do to you? That nearly had me like what the hell, in the theater.
·         Interviewer: I think Rebecca did it better though.
·         Subject: Huh.
·         Interviewer: I mean the story of Rebecca. It has a movie to it.
·         Subject: Okay.

What attracted you to the story Rebecca?
·         Subject: Same deal. (The same reason as Twilight- To see the movie.)
·         Interviewer: Okay. But I still think Rebecca did it better.
·         Subject: Rebecca followed the book to the letter. It had a consistency, both with the characters and the plot that it followed to the letter.
What features do you like about the classical romance story Rebecca?
·         Subject: I think I don’t know. I think I am mostly in love with the time period.
·         Interviewer: Yeah, I know.
·         Subject: More gentlemen. You know me I always say that my dream man is a Mr. Darcy.
·         Interviewer: Yeah, I know.
·         Subject: Having a strong upstanding, but they had a gentleman standing. I can also see the attraction in this story. The plot made sense. It wasn't some star-crossed lovers they meet, they have problems, they stick together. It just said, okay this is how it is supposed to be.
·         Interviewer: Yeah it just flows, the story of Rebecca.
What features do you like about the modern romance story Twilight?
·         Subject: What I liked about the romance Twilight was that it was a classical twist on a novel. It was a classic in modern times, you know. It was a remake of Dracula so to speak.
·         Interviewer: Can you elaborate on that?
·         Subject: You have a girl, falling in love with a vampire. He has issues controlling his thirst. The only difference is that it was her becoming his mate.
·         Interviewer: Oh, wow.
What features do you not like about the romance story Rebecca?
·         Subject: There wasn't a lot of romance itself. I mean I prefer more details, you know. Why the drama happened? Why this and that? They sort of glossed over it, whereas in today’s romance we are drama attics. We like seeing the hurt, the spas out, and we like watching the popular fights. And we like the guys going into a broody Gothic monolog, just because the woman left him. I mean that’s what we’re here for.
·         Interviewer: I kind of knew that we like a more modern day twist. Instead of oh he saved the damsel in distress. And who doesn't want to be in the arms of a strong prince charming?
·         Subject: Me, right here. I still say somebody should get sued for making up a fantasy about there being a prince charming.
What features do you not like about the modern day romance story Twilight?
·         Subject: She’s too clingy. Oh, my gosh she’s this whiny little brat.
·         Interviewer: Oh, really.
·         Subject: Uh, he left her for four months. He left her for four months and all she does in those four months is stops eating, spaces out, and they have to have her committed. And she dumps her best friend right on the spot when she finds out that Edward is in trouble. Flies half way across the world to save him, and doesn't curse him out once during this entire period, what kind of female are you. He left you for four months after he dumped you, and he dumped you in the middle of the forest. He didn't dump you in some place where you could walk home. He dumped you in the middle of the god dam forest. Where it was hours later where you were found by park rangers.
·         Interviewer: Wow.
·         SubjectShouldn't there be some bitterness. I’m not saying you can’t forgive him. But there should be some bitter beat down.
·         Interviewer: Exactly.
·         Subject: He took off and never came back. That would have pissed me off.
·         Interviewer: I agree. Oh sorry. I forgot I got to remain neutral during this interview. Nah, I am with you. I am sorry no neutrality.

            Each chunk of this data will illustrate what features are important in a modern day fantasy romance. It will also illustrate what features are important in a classical romance. The data will also tell about what women like about specific romances. Lastly, the data will state the women’s opinion on romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment